5 Cheap Ways to Have Fun This Summer
The sun, the heat, the cookouts, summer is full of great things that make us happy, but some of them can get pretty expensive. Here are 5 ways you can enjoy summer on a budget.
This is what summer is all about. The reason we love summer so much is because the weather is awesome. No need to wrap yourself in three layers of clothes before stumbling out the door. A t-shirt, shorts and some flip flops will do.
- Each lunch outside. Even if you have Godzilla for a boss, you will still get a few minutes to eat. Take that sandwich outside, find a swatch of green and have yourself a picnic. Listen to the birds, feel the sun on your face and smile at the people passing by.
- Go Camping – Camping is a great way to enjoy the great outdoors. The National Park Service has parks in every state plus all of the American territories and most have opportunities for camping. It is usually cheap or free depending on where you camp.
- Go for a Morning Walk – Hiking the back-country isn’t for everyone, but a simple morning walk before the day gets too hot will get your juices flowing and relax your mind.
Enjoy a Summer Cocktail
It doesn’t have to have alcohol in it, but nothing says summer like a nice peach tea or a strawberry margarita. Here are a few recipes that will have you savoring the flavor of summer.
Simple Peach Iced Tea – This is my all time favorite summer beverage.
Old Fashioned Pink Lemonade – A summer staple, pink lemonade is like lemon water, only better.
Fresh Strawberry Margaritas – If I am in the mood for an adult beverage that will make me believe I am sitting on a beach somewhere, this drink is easy to make and will transport you to the waters edge.
Summer Berry Sangria – Another adult beverage that is light and fruity and tastes like summer.
Have a Party, Pot-Luck Style
You provide the place and maybe the meat and all of your friends provide everything else. I love pot-lucks because everyone always brings their very best recipe. That means you get the best of the best from all of your friends and family. Aunt Betsy’s famous fried chicken, Uncle Bob’s ridiculous North Carolina BBQ sauce and Grandma’s apple fritters. All on the same table.
If you have some friends that can barely operate a microwave, put them in charge of beverages or paper products.
Pot-lucks are a great way for family and friends to get together without breaking any one person’s bank. Of course feel free to serve one of the cocktails listed above.
Make a Day of It
Day trips are awesome because they are day trips. No overnight stay, no airfare, just hop in the car and cruise to the coolest thing in your county. If you think I am nuts, here are a few ideas to get you planning your perfect day trip.
- Roadside America has a searchable database of lots of weird and wild attractions. If that wasn’t enough travel and leisure also has a similar site.
- The National Park Service offers a lot of learning and leisure opportunities besides camping.
- Stop by a winery for a tasting, or stay a while and enjoy the beauty of the vineyard. Here is a list of winery’s by state.
Summertime Arts and Crafts
The kids are home from school and you need something to occupy their little hands and minds. Doing some fun summer themed arts and crafts can do both and create some great memories for both you and your children. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Popsicle Stick Art – I still have a Christmas tree ornament I made from Popsicle sticks when I was a child, and of course my kids each have one of their own. The bonus to this project, you have to eat the Popsicle first!
- Homemade Ice Cream – You don’t even need an ice cream maker. There is nothing better than a cool sweat treat in the summer, for both you and your kids.
- Flower crowns – What fairy tale princess doesn’t need a crown? Take a walk and pick some wildflowers, then weave the stems together to give your princess and proper crown.
Summertime doesn’t have to be expensive, there are lots of opportunities for fun in the sun that don’t cost an arm and a leg. Look around and be thankful for this beautiful world we live in and be thankful for the things you have in your life. Enjoy your family and friends, watch the birds and the butterflies, but most of all, sit back, relax and enjoy your summer.