The Happy List
Out of the mouth of babes often comes great ideas, and the happy list is one of them. I was talking to my son about what I should write about today and we started discussing things that make us happy. Ice cream and funny memes were tops on his list, I added spending time with your children to mine. We found we were laughing and enjoying ourselves just making a list of what makes us happy. That kid is a genius I tell ya.
What is a Happy List
A happy list is just a list of things that makes you happy. If you write in a gratitude journal, each day you write things you are grateful for. A happy list is all of the little things in life that make you smile. It does not have to be just the big events in life. Yes, the big events matter and often make us happy, but the little things are also extremely important in your life. My wedding day was very happy and every time I think of it I smile, but my wedding day can not be recreated. On the other hand, I can run out for some ice cream, hug my husband or tickle my kids.
Why You Should Make a Happy List
The best reason to make a happy list is simply because it makes you happy. By taking the time to list out the things that you enjoy, you start smiling, thinking of why those things make you so happy. Once you make your list, you can frame it, keep it in your pocket or pin it to the fridge, just keep it somewhere you can refer back to when you are having a bad day.
How to Make Your Happy List
Making a happy list is pretty easy, and pretty fun. Grab something to write with and a piece of paper and start writing a list of things that make you happy. Ask your family to join in and have fun with it. This thing is about happiness!
- Your happy list is special, so it should be on some type of designer application. I have included two free PDF files with this post to give you some ideas (as always no email needed to download). Feel free to print out as many pages as you like and use them, or design your own.
- List both big and small things that make you happy.
- Use your learning style to guide your list. If you are a visual learner, use pictures on a piece of poster board, if you are an audio learner, set your list to music Ala the Holderness family.
- Include your family. Laughing alone is fun, but laughing together is a blast
What is on My Happy List
I could probably add to this list every day, but here are a few of the things that I put on my happy list.
The Big Things
- My wedding day. The whole day was awesome, our real family and our railroad family was together, my son ate about 12 ears of corn on the cob, the setting was beautiful but most of all my husband and I smiled and laughed all day.
- My Children. Yes sometimes they drive me mad, but really they are a joy and give me so many reasons to smile
- My husband. He cuts flowers out of the yard for me, he always knows how to make me smile when I am down and I truly enjoy the time I get to spend with him.
The Little Things
- Ice cream. Because who doesn’t love ice cream
- Rainbows. I always feel special when I get to see a rainbow
- Fishing. Quiet time, the fight of the fish, and the peace of water surrounding you
- My pets. Watching the cats chase each other around the house, or the dogs always being happy to see me makes my smile every time I come home.
- A walk in the woods. Even a short one drains the stress from me and makes me smile
- Funny memes. I have to agree with my son here, these things are always good for a laugh.
Make it Yours
Put your ideas into the list, this shouldn’t feel like a bad homework assignment. This should be fun, silly and laughter should be included. The big idea here is to list out the things that make you happy so that you can start triggering some positive emotions. The list should be personal, it should included all of the silly little things that make you or your loved ones happy. Have a good time with this one and let me know what you put on your happy list.